Friday, January 30, 2009

Week of 2/2/09 - 2/6/09


We made it through the month of January, hooray!! It has been cold and snowy but I am hopeful that February will be better...

Wednesday we head to Naper Settlement for our field trip, “Tools for Schools.” We will be outside for most of the day, so please make sure your child is dressed appropriately. Also, we will be eating lunch in one of the buildings, so a sack lunch with a drink is required. It is an excellent facility and a wonderful field trip. It also ties in very nicely with Social Studies.

Coming up this week:
Mrs. Klacza's Reading Class:

Spelling: Lesson 19: VAC words. Test on Friday.


Reading: We will continue reading our novel, Toliver's Secret. The students have been writing summaries for each chapter. Furthermore, this week they'll be writing an advice column answer about bullying. Ellen is constantly being bullied throughout the novel, first by Dicey and then by some Redcoats, and she needs to learn to stand up for herself!

Language Arts: We will be revisiting the extended response this week. I talk about the I-E-I-E-I-E format. Ask your child about it! Also, I was very impressed with the first expositories I read. The writing is good in room 208!

Mrs. Klacza's Math Class:

This week we will finish Chapter 12. Problem solving is covered in Lesson 6 and Lesson 7 teaches the relationship between fractions and decimals. After reviewing on Thursday, there will be a test on Friday.

Mrs. Klacza's Homeroom:

Social Studies: This week we will concentrate on completing our book project “I am the Patriot, I am the Loyalist”. We will visit the lab again this week to type, but I encourage the students to type at home, also. Our Chapter 8 test is planned for Tuesday, February 10. I realize I mentioned that it would take place the week of 2/2, but I've rethought that and pushed it back a bit :)

Science: Please remind your child to do his/her TGFD homework. I do not want them to take this lightly. Also, we will be learning about succession and a climax community this week.

Important Notes:
2/4 Naper Settlement field trip
2/5 School Assembly
2/14 Valentine's Day parties

Have a great weekend! Mrs. Klacza

No comments: